Peach Crème Brûlée Tart (from Cooking Light)
Cooking Deadline: August 4th
- 1/2 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie dough (such as Pillsbury)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 (4-inch) piece vanilla bean, split lengthwise (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups sliced ripe peeled peaches
- 1/3 cup sugar
Preparation1. Preheat oven to 450°.
2. Fit the dough into a 9-inch round removable-bottom tart pan, and pierce dough with a fork; bake at 450° for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely on a wire rack.
3. Place 1/4 cup sugar, flour, and salt in a medium, heavy saucepan. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean; add seeds and bean to milk mixture. Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly (about 5 minutes), stirring constantly.
4. Place egg in a large bowl. Gradually stir hot milk mixture into egg. Return milk mixture to pan. Cook 2 minutes or until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly. Spoon custard into a small bowl. Place bowl in a larger bowl filled with ice. Cool 20 minutes or until thoroughly chilled, stirring occasionally. Discard vanilla bean.
*If using vanilla extract add it after you've begun to chill the custard. Let cool for 20 minutes*
5. Spread chilled custard into bottom of prepared crust. Arrange the peach slices spoke-like on top of chilled custard. Sprinkle 1/3 cup sugar evenly over peach slices. (Alternatively you could place the peaches on the bottom and the custard on the top for a more crème brûlée like appearance - just remember that the 1/3 cup sugar needs to go on the top of the tart).
6. Holding a kitchen blow torch about 2 inches from the top of the tart, heat the sugar, moving the torch back and forth, until the sugar is melted and caramelized (about 3 minutes). If you don't have a blow torch, you can use the broiler of your oven. Just be sure to cover the exposed areas of crust with foil so it doesn't burn!
- Calories: 247 (32% from fat)
- Fat: 8.8g (sat 3.7g,mono 3.7g,poly 1g)
- Protein: 4.5g
- Carbohydrate: 37.9g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Cholesterol: 36mg
- Iron: 0.3mg
- Sodium: 175mg
- Calcium: 80mg