Monday, August 23, 2010

Trout sandwich

My local grocer didn't have whole trout this week. So I bought two fillets and figured I'd make a trout sandwich.

I used whole wheat bread, which I had on hand. I was too lazy to get out the Cuisinart food processor so I just ripped it up into little pieces and made croutons.
I may have snacked on a few.



I also didn't want to buy a whole pack of bacon as we rarely eat it, so I went to the deli counter and picked up a little bit of pancetta. I chopped up the pancetta and sauteed it with the onions, mushrooms and green onions together. I just couldn't resist the temptation of cooking it all in pancetta fat. Mmmm.

I've learned that it's best to add green onions at the end, to keep them nice and green and crisp.
Then I proceeded to assembling my trout sandwich. In addition to lemon juice, salt & pepper, I brushed on a wee little bit of maple syrup, because maple syrup always goes nicely with bacon. I thought the sweetness would balance the savouriness of the stuffing.
All wrapped up with my cool reusable silicone roasting ties.
I sliced it up and we had it with roast potatoes and steamed bok choy. Delicious.

I really liked the recipe. The temperature and timing turned out to be absolutely perfect - the fish was cooked until it just turned opaque. I found there was a bit too much contrast between the mild trout and savoury stuffing, but I probably just didn't salt the fish enough. My husband wished that the trout skin would have turned out crispier, but I thought it was fine. I'd make this again, or at least use the stuffing again.

1 comment: